Learn More About Proper Invisalign Aligner Care
Many people opt for Invisalign clear aligners as their orthodontic treatment option because the aligners can fit better into their lifestyles. The aligners are clear, allowing you to discreetly straighten your smile, and they are also removable so you don’t have to alter your diet or add extra time to your oral care routine. But, they can still take a bit of getting used to.
So, what do you need to know about caring for your Invisalign aligners? Dr. Gerald Kim offers some tips on what to do and what to avoid when in Invisalign treatment.
- Start your day off on the right foot by thoroughly cleaning your aligners and your teeth. When you wake up in the morning, take a bit of time to remove any build-up that happened while you were sleeping by removing your trays and cleaning them properly.
- Rinse your aligners off every time you take them out. You have to remove your aligners whenever you eat or drink anything but plain water, as well as when you brush and floss. Take a few quick seconds to rinse your aligners every time you take them out.
- Don’t forget to brush your aligners. Your aligners can have plaque build-up on them just like your teeth can, so it’s important to take proper care of them to keep your smile healthy. Dr. Kim recommends using clear, anti-bacterial soap to keep them clean. You can also use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently brush away any build-up.
- Remember to soak your aligners. Brushing your aligners is a great way to keep them clean, but to ensure they are as fresh as possible, Dr. Kim also recommends soaking them once a day. You can use special Invisalign cleaning crystals or a denture cleaner. Remember to rinse the aligners before putting them back in your mouth.
- Brush and floss regularly, especially after eating. Dr. Kim recommends brushing your teeth after eating to remove any food particles that may be left over. If you place your aligners back in without brushing, you’ll be trapping these food particles between your teeth and the trays. Over time, this can lead to issues such as cavities.
- Protect your trays when they aren’t in your mouth. Dr. Kim recommends always placing your trays in their case when you remove them. This will make them less likely to get accidentally thrown away or misplaced.
- Don’t eat with your trays in. You can drink plain water while your trays are in place, but you cannot eat or drink with them. If you regularly eat while wearing your trays, you risk damaging them. This will make them less effective. Food and drink can also stain your aligners, which will make them much more noticeable.
- Do not use harsh cleaning agents on your aligners. This includes toothpaste and other abrasive cleaning agents that could damage the surface of your aligners. While toothpaste is ideal for your teeth, it will cause damage and discoloration to your aligners.
- Skip scented and colored soaps. Clear, non-scented anti-bacterial soap is the best option for regular cleaning of your Invisalign trays. Scented soaps can add an unpleasant taste, and colored soaps can stain your trays.
- Don’t forget regular visits to your dentist while in orthodontic treatment. Your smile must stay healthy to ensure your ideal outcome, so remember to visit your dentist every six months.
- Don’t forget to call Dr. Kim if anything happens to your trays during treatment. If a tray gets damaged or lost during treatment, don’t skip to the next set before it’s time. Call Dr. Kim and his office will help get you back on track.
Invisalign offers so many benefits for patients of all ages. To learn more or to get started, call Kim Orthodontics at 808-941-9888.