One of the greatest gifts a parent can give to a child is a healthy and confident smile.
Although an orthodontist can enhance a smile at any age, there is an optimal time to begin treatment. The optimal time will vary for each child. Sometimes it is best to wait until all the permanent teeth have erupted. Other times, delaying the correction of certain orthodontic problems may require more complicated and expensive treatment in the future. This is why Dr. Gerald, Dr. Mary, and the American Association of Orthodontists recommend an initial orthodontic evaluation at age 7.
Benefits of Preventive Orthodontic Treatment
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to minimize jaw discrepancies
- Prevent problems with erupting teeth that could lead to tooth and gum damage
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Reduce the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Correct thumb-sucking and help improve minor speech problems
- Improve self-esteem during the impressionable years of childhood